Since they’re hidden behind walls and above ceilings, most homeowners don’t pay much attention to their air ducts. Although ductwork typically lasts for years without running into any issues, it can start to leak air in some instances. A leaking air duct is nothing to ignore, as it causes rising energy bills and leads to a less comfortable home. Keep reading to learn how to tell if air ducts in your Fair Oaks, CA home are leaking:
- Higher utility bills: Many homeowners first notice an issue when it impacts their wallets, and, in most cases, that’s what happens with a leaky air duct. If your air ducts are leaking, your HVAC system has to work harder to heat or cool your home, which means you’ll see a higher-than-average utility bill each month. The price increase varies from small to large, depending on the severity of the leak.
- Uneven heating and cooling: If some rooms in your home are warmer or cooler than others, there’s probably some sort of issue with your HVAC system. The root of the problem is commonly the ductwork, as rooms can’t be kept at the same temperature if there’s a leak somewhere in the duct system. You’ll likely notice this issue more in the summer and winter, when your HVAC system runs more frequently.
- Excessive amounts of dust: Despite how much you clean, does your home constantly have a layer of dust on the floors, counters and furniture? If so, it might be time to inspect your ductwork. Holes and leaks in your air ducts could result in your HVAC system pulling in dust or other pollutants from the attic or basement. If the problem is due to a leak, you’ll notice excess dust each time you turn on your AC or heating.
- Visual confirmation: The fastest way to tell if air ducts in your Fair Oaks, CA home are leaking is by seeing it with your own eyes. Leaks can come from things like a hole in the duct, a loose connection or a kink in a flexible duct. Patch the duct up as best you can before solving the problem once and for all.
I think my ducts are leaking—now what?
As mentioned above, ignoring an air duct leak is a big mistake. Follow these steps if you suspect a problem with your ductwork:
- Get an inspection: Even after reading this post, you still don’t fully know how to inspect leaky air ducts in Fair Oaks, CA. Luckily, a professional does—an HVAC contractor will perform a thorough investigation to determine if your ducts are actually leaking and where the leak is coming from.
- Repair or replace: If there’s a leak, your HVAC technician can handle it! A pro will get to work right away, sealing the leaks and making any necessary repairs. Portions of the ductwork may need to be replaced in some cases. While that’s not always cheap, it is effective in stopping the problem.
When it comes to knowing how to inspect leaky air ducts in Fair Oaks, CA, nobody is better than our team at Cassel Air Conditioning and Heating Service! Call us right away if you suspect your ducts are leaking or if it’s been a while since you’ve had a professional inspection.
Categorised in: Ductwork
This post was written by Writer